Monday, September 19, 2011

Invasion of the Lynch's

Hello Everyone

Well again I must apologies for my tardiness in keeping everyone updated on developments here in Tanzania but well at least this time I can blame my parents!

I have just returned to work after an amazing two week holiday with my mam and dad.  Contrary to my siblings beliefs we managed not to kill each other and got on like a house on fire! Mam and dad arrived on the 2nd of September and I have to say it was fantastic to see them even though its only been three months. The first day of the holiday was spent chilling out in Kigamboni and swimming in the Indian ocean.  For everyone who knows my Dad well, it did not take him long to acquaint himself with some of Tanzania's best known beers and after a few trial runs he settled on Kilimanjaro as his favorite which I must admit is a very good choice.  On Saturday after a day of relaxation I took them on a tour of my adopted home city Dar es Salaam.  Mam and dad adapted well to the bajajs (or tuc tucs as they are referred to in South East Asia) and we began our city tour with a visit to Wonder Welders which is an NGO which employs people with various disabilities and produces some of the best quality crafts that you will find in the city.  From there we went to Macumbusho cultural centre.  The centre provides a fascinating insight into the various tribes of Tanzania (there are 120 in total) and recreates the various types of housing that each of the tribes would have built historically.  After this we went for a spot of lunch at Samaki Samaki and rounded off the day with sundowners at the Seacliff Hotel.

The following day we again ventured into the city and spent a most enjoyable afternoon with Mama Kibache, Mr Kabir and two of my friends and colleagues Julian and Miriam.  Mama Kibache is the mother of a Tanzanian friend of mine who I met in Ireland before coming out here.  Mama Kibache is a retired teacher and former member of parliament which given my parents background lead to a most enjoyable afternoon of political exchanges and debates about the education system in Ireland in comparison to Tanzania.  Later that evening we joined the Irish Society in the Holiday Inn and watched the hurling all Ireland...While we should have had an early night considering we were going on safari the next day in true Irish style we of course had one too many beers (wine in my case!).

So began stage two of our holiday.  We left on Monday morning for the Seleous game reserve.  We were travelling with Tende my housemate and his company so it was great and we had total flexibility on the pace. It took about 6 hours to reach our lodgings "Hippo Camp".  The first three hours were on paved roads but the second 3 were on unpaved roads so that was interesting!  When we arrived we had a sunset cruise on the Rufiji River which was beautiful...lots of crocodiles and hippos!  The next day we had a full day game drive and saw lots of lions, hippos, giraffe, zebra and elephants!  It was amazing...although I think I provided the most entertainment by nearly jumping out of my seat when the male lion got a little too close!!    The next day we had another day of game driving...the highlight of which was a mother lion and her two cubs chilling out in the shade...On our third day we did a walking safari through the game reserve...I was a little hesitant but it was OK we didn't get attacked by anything...that afternoon we chilled out back at camp and then had the most amazing dinner out on a sandbank of the Rufiji River...The food, the wine, the campfire, the company it was all just perfect...I didnt want to leave but alas as much as me and Tende said to my parents we should just camp there they were having none of it!  The next day we visited a village nearby and my dad had a great time bargaining over souveneirs and even had a beer in the "local"...That afternoon we headed back to Dar.

And so began stage three of our holiday.  We spent the weekend in Dar and had a lovely lunch with the Irish Society up on the peninsula..Again we ate like kings and had a spit roast pig and a ridiculous amount of other gourmet delights! The next day we left for Zanzibar and spent three days exploring the souks of Stonetown.  I really can't mention Zanzibar without remembering all of those families who have lost loved ones in the ferry disaster...My thoughts are prayers are with them all....I hope that a proper investigation is undertaken and that such a tragedy can be prevented in the future.  While we were in Stonetown we met up with Tom O'Donoghue who is a retired teacher and is out here volunteering with VSO...We had planned to spend a day at the school he works at but the school was closed as there was three days of national mourning to remember those who had lost their lives.  So we spent an enjoyable afternoon catching up over lunch..I hadn't seen Tom since I first arrived in Tanzania so it was nice to meet up again.

And so began the final stage of my parents trip.  They stayed with me in my house for their final two nights.  Their final day was spent down in Ilala where my office is based.  They even used the dala dalas that I get to work every day...although after doing it one way it was decided that they were happy to just pay the taxi fare to get back! My parents were really touched by Ilala and the work that TAWLA does there.  I think they could see first hand after being in the area the evident poverty and the need for the valuable service that we provide there.  It was great that they got to meet some of my colleagues and to experience my reason for being here.  They even had a soft drink at my 'local restaurant'.  We had lunch up in Slipway which is a really lovely area down by the waterfront and relaxed under the bandas.  That afternoon we spent in my front garden relaxing in the hammocks.  Me and my mam chatted for hours...we could have been at our kitchen table the only thing missing was a cup of Barry's tea! We had a family dinner that night with Elaine, Tende and Tara.  Tende cooked an amazing meal with impala that we had brought home from safari.  Even as I am writing this I am starting to well up a little...I really had a wonderful two weeks with my parents but like all good things it had to come to an end....

I have settled back in well to work and have hit the ground running! The break with my parents was really wonderful....In addition to my work with TAWLA I have just been accepted onto a funded online course on anti-corruption and human development which is being run by the UNDP.  I reckon that should keep me out of the pub and trouble for a while!  I think my liver could do with the break after such an amazing sporting weekend!! Hats off to the boys in Green and the boys in Blue! I've set out below a selection of photos from our hols...Until next time I hope you are all well :)...

Some photos uploaded this time!













Lala salaam (Goodnight x)

No comments:

Post a Comment